In 1993, we were established as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit to educate the public about architects and the value of contemporary design. The approach to design that we support is characterized by:
• Innovation in response to client sensitive, creative problem-solving rather than consistent application of any predetermined style
• Sound construction honestly expressed using appropriate materials
• Reliance on site specific conditions, such as climate, to determine design solutions
• Priority given to social implications and humanistic concerns for quality of life
• Low cost of construction relative to high quality of product achieved
The work we document pushes the limits of design and construction techniques while always paying close attention to its users’ needs. We consider it a cultural resource and social art form.
Our goal is to build a global network of support connecting the public, the profession, the academic community, and the construction industry.
And . . . with the growing awareness of climate change, sustainability, and resiliency, it is hoped that this will finally provide evidence-based support for the approach to design described above, and especially . . . for the value an architect can bring to that particular approach.